I have over 20 years of experience supporting technology in libraries.
Campbell County Public Library, Newport KY
Digital Services Manager
May 2011 – Present
- Manage the Library’s Systems Department.
- Develop, design, and maintain the Library’s Digital Branch and other websites using Drupal and Joomla content management systems.
- Develop and maintain online applications, modules, and databases using HTML5, CSS3, PHP, MySQL, and other tools.
- Configure and maintain Linux and Windows servers; including the Library’s web server, mail server, and integrated library system (ILS).
- Configure and maintain the Library’s computer network.
- Chair the Database Committee and recommend electronic resources based on user needs.
- Maintain, monitor, and analyze the Library’s social media presence.
- Participate as a member of the Management Team in planning and policy making.
SouthWest Ohio and Neighboring Libraries, Cincinnati OH
1999 – 2011
- Developed the organization’s web sites using standards and best practices. Used scripting languages, relational databases, and content management systems to facilitate and enhance projects.
- Developed and maintained the Greater Cincinnati Memory Project.
- Used open source and custom software to develop and maintain shared technology projects for the membership.
- Configured and maintained the organization’s Linux-based web, mail, and file servers, including all hardware, software, networking, and security. Hosted web sites and projects for other library-related organizations.
- Developed and supported the organization’s distance learning technologies including chat, video conferencing, and web conferencing.
- Maintained and troubleshooted all other technologies within the SWON Libraries offices, including staff computers, computer lab, and phone system.
- Provided consultation and referral services for member libraries, including grant recommendations/reviews, hardware/software recommendations, cost estimates, recommendations for new services, troubleshooting, and web site evaluations.
- Provided direct technology assistance to member libraries, including web site development and ongoing support.
- Presented over 150 training sessions for the SWON Libraries membership and at national, state, and regional events.
- Served as Interim Director on two occasions for a total of 25 months.
Wright State University Libraries, Dayton OH
LAN Analyst, 1997 – 1999
Student Employee, 1992 – 1997
- Served as UNIX programmer and administrator for the University Libraries’ web server, electronic reserves server, and electronic catalog systems.
- Developed and maintained Perl, CGI, C++, and shell scripts for web-based and administrative applications.
- Consulted with the University Libraries’ Web Manager to maintain web server operations and services. Served as backup for the Libraries’ Web Manager.
- Served as TCP/IP network administrator.
- Supervised the Library Computing Services Department’s student employees. Interviewed, hired, prepared work schedules for, and assisted in training of student employees. Appraised student employee performance.
- Analyzed PC and file server hardware to ensure optimal system performance.
Participated in the selection, implementation, and evaluation of new PC products and services. Installed and configured PC software.
Wright State University, Dayton OH
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Selected Coursework in Educational Technology
- Integrated Library Systems: Polaris, Innovative Interfaces
- Digital Collections: Greenstone, VTLS Classic + MetaCAT + EasyPAC
- Computer management: PC Reservation, Websense, LPTone, DeepFreeze
- Content management systems: Drupal, Joomla, WordPress, MediaWiki
- Reporting & Testing: Google Analytics, Webalizer, W3C services
- Other Tools: Git, Subversion; Eclipse, Gimp, Firebug
- OS: Linux (Ubuntu, Debian, RedHat), Windows, Sun Solaris, VMware
- Web: Apache, IIS, SSL
- Database: MySQL, PHPMyAdmin, Oracle
- Email: Zimbra, Postfix, Dovecot, Mailman, Squirrelmail, Spamassasin
- Security: IP Tables, Logcheck, Tripwire, Fail2ban, ClamAV
- Shell scripting: Bash, sed, awk, grep
- Other: SSH, Samba, ImageMagick
- TCP/IP, DNS, switches, routers, firewalls, cabling, wireless
Presented over 200 talks on technology and its use in libraries of all types. Presented online and in person at national, state, regional, and local events. Topics included web development, Web 2.0 topics, content management systems, social media, cloud computing, open source software, mobile gadgets, wireless networking, and general technology trends.
A list of past presentations can be found at http://glengage.com/slides
Memberships, Committees, and Task Forces
- Kentucky Library Association
- Member, 2011 – present
- Standards Committee-Technology Sub-Committee, 2013-present
- Cincinnati Drupal Users Group
- Member, 2008 – 2010
- Member, 2008 – 2010
- LSTA Advisory Council, 2007-2011
- LSTA Grant Reviewer, 2010
- LSTA Grant Reviewer, 2009
- LSTA Grant Reviewer, 2008
- Gates Foundation Broadband Focus Group, 2007
- Statewide Resource Sharing Brokering Task Force, 2006
- Develop and present online training module: Networking 101, 2005
- LSTA Grant Reviewer, 2003
- Assist with development of Wireless Laptop Lab Grant Tip Sheet, 2003
- Web Manager, 2000 – 2006
- Treasurer, 2005 – 2006
- Chapter Alternate Assembly Representative, 2004
- Chapter Chair, Southern Ohio Chapter, 2003
- Programs Chair, Southern Ohio Chapter, 2002
- Chapter Assembly Representative, 2001
- Awards Committee Chair, 2000
- Treasurer, 2004-2006
- Information Technology Division – Assistant Coordinator, 2006
Information Technology Division – Action Council, 2005
- Tier 2 Support Planning Team, 2004
- Assist with migration of web site ColdFusion scripts to PHP, 2004
- KHECC Planning Committee, 2005-2006